The hourglass body type Is considered the ideal body type by many women. However, only 8.4% of the population have it. It's round and curvy, with a well-defined waistline, fuller hips and bust and generous thighs. For women with this body type, the bust and hip are approximately the same size, and the waist is narrow. This gives you a set of sexy, killer curves. Due to these generous curves, many women find it difficult to find the right type of clothes for their body type. However, as the hourglass is considered the perfect feminine shape, all that’s needed is to find clothes that silhouette your figure rather than hide it.
Whether you’re a petite, standard or plus size woman, here are some tips on how you can best dress for your pear shaped curves.
Typical Characteristics of an Hourglass Body Shape
- Your bust and hips are well balanced;
- You have a beautifully defined waist;
- Your have gently rounded shoulders that align nicely with your hips;
- Your waist is obvious and gracefully curves out to your hips;
- You most likely have a rounded bottom and beautiful side as well as front profile; and,
- Your upper body is proportionate in length to your shapely legs.
How Do I Dress My Hourglass Shape
The key to dressing an hourglass body type is to proportionally dress the top and bottom of your body while accentuating your waist. Wide belts over shirts and dresses are a great way to show off your waist. You can create an even more curvaceous effect by proportionally adding a bit of volume to your upper and lower body, but always try to maintain balance since it is your best asset.
When dressing your hourglass figure, look for styles and fabrics that reduce bulk and prevent boxiness. Also look for pieces that draw attention to your narrow waist.
Tips For Dressing Your Body
- Balance your bust;
- Short, shaped jackets;
- Wrap blouses or dresses;
- Avoid volume-enhancing details;
- Go for soft fabrics like knit and silk blends;
- Wear low necklines;
- Stick with solid colours;
- Wear dark colours and vertical stripes if you want to downplay your curves; and,
- Wear tops that extend below your hipbone to accent your curves
Tops for an Hourglass-Shaped Body
Look for tops that will accentuate your waist and maintain the balanced look of your figure. Look for:
- Belted tops, or adding a belt to your outfit, to further accentuate your curvy figure;
- Tops with banding or nipping at the waist;
- Form-fitting tops to showcase your body;
- Wrap-style tops accentuate your waist and enhance your hourglass figure. Flowing tops that are banded at the waist, showing off your amazing curves, create a dramatic hourglass effect.
- Tops with that add volume to the bust and shoulders. A snug fitting empire waist will create a dramatic hourglass effect when paired with a proportionally voluminous bottom;
- Tailored shirts with darted waists that conform to your natural shape, however, stay away from boxy styles;
- Jackets that nip in at the waist with a flare at the hip. The flare should be balanced with a structured or princess shoulder.
Bottoms for an Hourglass Body Shape
You can wear most any bottoms as long as you pair them with the proper top. The following options work:
- Pants with wide waistband are very flattering on your body type. Pair straight-leg pants with a form skimming top or cargos with a fuller top to maintain your hourglass proportions;
- Wear skinny jeans with banded, belted or not-to-tight body skimming tops. Boot cut jeans look good with most any of our recommended tops;
- Figure skimming and pencil skirts of all lengths look good on your figure. High-waisted skirts are particularly flattering. Add a flounce around the bottom to balance fuller tops and jackets; and,
- Full skirts are flattering when paired with a top that adds fullness to your bust and shoulders while accentuating your waist. This look creates a very dramatic hourglass effect.
Swimsuits for an Hourglass Body Shape
You will look great in most swim suits. The key is to keep your proportions balanced. Look for:
- Choose tops with straps that sit in the center of your well balanced shoulders. Match unpadded tops with simple bottoms or padded tops with embellished bottoms;
- Bandeau tops are flattering on an hourglass figure. Pair simple bottoms with simple bandeau tops or embellished/ruffled tops with embellished/ruffled bottoms;
- Simple bottoms that cut straight across your hips look great with simple tops;
- Ruffled or embellished bottoms will enhance your hourglass figure when paired with similar tops;
- One piece bathing suits with a wrap or banded waist will enhance your hourglass figure. Make sure to stick with suits that have the same pattern or color across the bust and hips; and,
- Choose tankinis with a balanced top and bottom. Pair simple tops with simple bottoms and pair embellished tops with embellished bottoms. Keep the color across your bust and hips is the same.